Housing Office

new website - brycki-240x300-crop-u192642
Paul Brycki, Director

230 Taylor Hill Road
Griswold, CT 06351
Phone:  860 376 - 4516

new website - fair housingThe Griswold Housing Authority operates 60 units of elderly housing in two subsidized developments.  The Housing Authority is established under Section 8-40 of the Connecticut General Statutes.  Griswold Rents are income-based. Seniors must be at least 62 and have a maximum annual income of $30,000 for a single person.

Click here to view Notice of Closing of Wait List

View the Fair Housing Resolution Policy and Compliance Statements ADA Notice & Municipal Grievance Procedure for our Town.

Ashland Manor
92 Ashland Street, Griswold
Independent Living Facility

new website - ashlandmanor

The development of Ashland Manor at 92 Ashland Street and McCluggage Manor at 242 Taylor Hill Road are projects that were funded by the Connecticut Department of Housing. Currently, Ashland Manor is involved in a complete overhaul and expansion to complete the $700,000 first phase of a complete renovation of Ashland Manor through the state Community Development Block Grant program.  The Griswold Housing Authority has received funding to complete Phase Two that involves creating one bedroom additions to the existing efficiency apartments that exist now as well as a new parking area.

McCluggage Manor
242 Taylor Hill Road, Griswold
Independent Living Facility

new website - mccluggagemanor

The development at the McCluggage Manor are also slated for $4 million to build 35 new units and to overhaul the existing apartments for elderly, handicapped and disabled tenants. Authority members are working with state officials at the Department of Economic and Community Development to obtain the funding through the 2014 Small Cities Community Program.

Funding has been obtained through the Small Cities Block Grant to upgrade the McCluggage Manor apartments and build 35 new units at the Taylor Hill facility.


Color Rendering of the Proposed 12 One-bedroom Additions  to allow for a live-in caregiver.

A 25 -Unit Apartment Complex will be built at the McCluggage Manor site with the funding obtained recently through a Small Cities Block Grant.


Other Elderly Housing

new website - ledgewood - upper_right_3

Ledgewood Apartments

35 Pleasant View Griswold
Independent Living Facility

SK Management offers senior housing for those 62 or older or disabled (regardless of age) in this 28 unit, two-story complex that is equipped with an elevator. Heat and hot water is included in the rent . These one bedroom units, have an open concept kitchen, living room/dining room. The bedroom has a 5' x 12' walk-in closet. Smoke and heat detectors as well as a sprinkler system are in all apartments. The  building's security is intercom equipped and has an on-site laundry facility and a community room for the tenants' use. Each apartment complex has fully accessible handicapped units. The number of these units per complex is based upon the total number of apartments in the complex. Trash removal and snow plowing are also included.


Regional Supportive Housing for Homeless Veterans in Eastern Connecticut

new website - american-legion-post-69-crop-u192665The American Legion Veterans Housing
7  South Main Street, Griswold

The LaFlamme-Kusek American Legion Post sponsored American Legion Veterans Housing Inc Project (TALVI) has restored its existing building in Jewett City into 18 permanent supportive housing units to create a Pilot Project for a  regional facility for homeless Veterans in Eastern Connecticut.

Reliance Health - 860-376-3828 or 3838

The American Legion Veterans Housing includes:

The American Legion Post is open and has community  functionroom on the Ground Floor.Second and third floors have eight single bedroom residential units.Existing basement: Possible renovation as additional Post space.

There are an addition ten living units having a stairway, an elevator,administrative and common areas.  Off-street parking parking isavailable to better serve the facility.  The building also has formaland informal community space for the tenants who live there.Property management space is included on the first floor of thebuilding.

new website - amerlegvethousing-41-300x200Supportive Services

A team of case managers offer a wide range on on-site services that are designed to help residents meet the challenges of daily living including:

  • Daily life skills training.
  • Money management; crisis intervention;
  • Vocational support, job training, employment; and
  • Relapse prevention educational services.

Additional services for Veterans are available through the VA Connecticut New London Community Based Outpatient Clinic and the West Haven VA. Services will be offered to all tenants. Offices for case management staff will also be located on site.

Project Sponsors

The American Legion Veterans Housing, Inc. owns and operates the project. Together The Women's Institute for Housing, Economic Development and Demarco Management Corporation ensures a quality, enriching living environment. The Women's Institute acts as project developer and assists the sponsor through the first three years of stabilized operations. Demarco Management Corporation provides comprehensive professional property management services at the site.



Connecticut General Statutes Annotated

Based on the State of Connecticut Elderly Housing Directory


Communities designated as independent living are rental housing communities that are age restricted. Some communities may allow occupancy to younger persons with disabilities. Individuals typically gain residency in these communities by entering into rental contracts, or leases, for fixed periods of time.

Living units are usually apartments that can vary in size. These communities generally do not have the range of amenities found in many upscale retirement communities. Services, amenities, house rules and occupancy requirements vary by community and are influenced by housing managers’ decisions as well as by federal, state and/or local laws and policies.

These communities are not licensed, but they must comply with building and safety codes regarding the design, construction and safety features of their buildings. Publicly-assisted housing communities may be mandated to conform to additional requirements that are not required in the private market. These communities are generally meant for individuals whose health and physical mobility enable them to live independently with minimal assistance. Supportive services may be used by residents to maintain independent lifestyles; however, residents or their family members may be responsible for acquiring such services.  Some communities may employ resident services coordinators who can enhance residents’ abilities to live independently by helping them access community-based services.


An assisted living designation in this directory is reserved for managed residential communities that provide supportive services to residents with an entity that is licensed by the Connecticut Department of Public Health as an Assisted Living Services Agency (ALSA). A managed residential community may hold a license as an ALSA, or it may provide supportive services through a contract with a licensed, assisted-living provider. The managed residential community and the ALSA each have specific responsibilities that are mandated by Connecticut statute. Residential communities must provide core services that include laundry, transportation and housekeeping services, meals, recreational activities and maintenance, including chore services for routine domestic tasks.

Communities are also responsible for installing emergency call systems in every unit, employing a resident services coordinator, providing 24-hour security and having on-site washers and dryers. The ALSA provides residents with assistance with daily activities, nursing services and medication supervision. It is also responsible for staffing a registered nurse that is on call 24 hours per day and ensuring that the managed residential community provides the required core services. The ALSA does not usually provide skilled medical services. Residents of assisted living communities may be independent or may have chronic and stable conditions as determined by a physician or health care practitioner. These conditions are not limited to medical and physical ailments, but may also include chronic and stable mental health and cognitive conditions.Staff associated with assisted living communities monitor residents, develop individualized service plans and are available 24 hours per day to meet residents’ unscheduled needs. Residents typically live in apartment-style units and pay monthly fees. Additional fees may be charged for extra services.

Individuals should understand that the ALSA license pertains to the provision of services in a managed residential community; it does not pertain to the housing community itself.


Some of Connecticut’s congregate communities are publicly sponsored and are associated with the State’s Congregate Housing For The Elderly program. This program mandates that communities provide specific services and that residents meet certain eligibility criteria. Connecticut regulations require that communities provide residents with individual apartments that have private kitchens and private baths. They must provide one main meal per day in a communal dining area, housekeeping services and 24-hour security. Arrangements may be made by housing staff to help residents access personal care and transportation services. These communities do not provide rehabilitation services, nursing services or supervision of the administration or monitoring of medications.

Residents must be at least 62 years of age, have incomes no greater than 80 percent of their area’s median income, have temporary difficulties with one or more daily activities and meet the established criteria of a local selection committee that is approved by the Department of Economic and Community Development. There is no asset limitation for this program. Income residents receive from their assets, however, is included in gross income and, therefore, considered when determining rent. Residents are required to pay rent and a congregate services fee. Certain deductions for personal expenses, food and medical costs are used to calculate these charges. Residents may receive subsidies for one or both of these fees.

Communities that are associated with the Congregate Housing For The Elderly program are listed under the congregate housing section and are identified by “state congregate” next to their names. For more information call the Audit and Asset Management Division of the Department of Economic and Community Development at (860) 270-8190.


Continuing-care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) are also sometimes referred to as life-care communities. These communities are designed and operated to assure residents, through contractual agreements, lifetime living accommodations and a wide variety of services, including a specified package of long-term health and nursing services. Each resident must enter into a contract with a continuing care provider in order to obtain residency. These contracts are often referred to as residency agreements. A resident’s entry into such an agreement requires the payment of an entrance fee. The residency agreement guarantees that the continuing care provider will supply housing and access to health-related services for the life of the resident in exchange for an entrance fee and monthly fees. CCRCs offer various types of care, which enable residents to remain on campus and move from one level of care to another as their needs change. Prospective residents must be able to maintain themselves in their apartments at the time of admission and are usually asked to complete a health screen as part of the admission process. Prospective residents must also supply the continuing care provider with personal financial statements that show their ability to meet the community’s fee obligations. Connecticut’s CCRCs are not licensed but they must adhere to certain statutory requirements (Chapter 319hh of the Connecticut General Statutes, Management of Continuing-Care Facilities).

Various components of their health care packages such as assisted living services, residential-care and nursing-home beds, however, are licensed by the Department of Public Health. Housing units can be apartments in high-rise or low-rise buildings, townhouses, garden apartments, cottages or free-standing homes. Units can range in size from studios to three bedrooms. Fees residents pay vary depending upon the community, the type of living unit chosen and whether an individual or couple is the occupant. Continuing-care communities have different policies regarding the availability and terms of entrance-fee refunds. Residents do not have equity interest in their units.