Building & Zoning Enforcement

Our Offices Responsibility to Our Residents:

Permitting is now available online at the link below

The building and zoning department is now offering online permitting.  You can fill the permit out online and pay by credit card or electronic check, or you can come into the office after you have filled out the permit and pay with cash or check.  After April 22nd, permits will only be available online.  Plans for projects will have to dropped off in person.  If you have any questions, please reach out to the building department at 860-376-7060 x 2110 or zoning at 860-376-7060 x 2112.

Building Department Services

  • Plan review is required for all proposed structures.
  • Inspections and enforcement according to the Connecticut State Building Codes, relative to the manner of construction and materials to be used in the erection, addition to, alteration, repair, removal, demolition or installation of service equipment and the location, occupancy and maintenance of all buildings and structures.
  • Grants approval of all building materials, dimensions, structural integrity and zoning compliance. All building records are public information and are available for viewing during Building Department hours.

Zoning / Wetlands Enforcement

(Go To Commission's Page)

  • Investigations of complaints received, and issuance if necessary orders with re-inspection to ensure compliance. The Enforcement Officer has the authority to turn non-compliant issues over th the Town Attorneys for legal action.
  • May order immediate cease and desist of actions in any form that is in the interest of code compliance or public safety and general welfare.

How to File a Building or Zoning Complaint: Click Here

Did You Know?

As a property owner, most changes made to your structure or property requires a building permit or possibly a zoning permit.  If you are in doubt, please call the Building Department to avoid fines and penalties for work done without permits.

Uncas Health District Approvals are required for all Building Permit Applications in order to construct an addition, a deck, or a garage and also for the installation of a swimming pool or to change the use of a building.  Call 860-823-1189, Extension 113 to obtain an Uncas Health District Application.

Zoning Board of Appeals Variances may be required prior to applying for a Building Permit if the Zoning setback requirements for your property cannot be met for your addition or an accessory structure.

Inland Wetlands Permits may be required if any work is done on your property  within  75 feet of a wetlands or waterway.

The start of your project may be delayed without the proper approvals prior to submitting your Building Permit Application



No Town fee shall be required for a permit to reduce or upgrade the roofing, siding, windows, or electrical or heating system of an owner-occupied, single-family home if one of the home owners of record is aged 62 or over. Such owner shall be required to provide proof of age in order to obtain this exemption.

The CT State Educational Fee of .26/per thousand of the estimated cost cannot be waived and is due upon application submittal.




Building Department Important Information

As the homeowner, you are responsible for all applicable permits and approvals for any work done on your property, whether by you or by a contractor. You are also responsible to have all work inspected by the Building Official; this includes the FINAL INSPECTION when your project has been completed.

Failure to do so can result in code violations, permit expiration; furthermore, create problems with your insurance coverage and property sales/refinancing. You can also click on the link below to view a list of all required inspections.  If you should ever have any question contact our office for assistance.

Homeowner Resources

Do I Need an Inspection?
(View Required Inspection List)

Swimming Pools, Spas & Hot Tubs:
(Download Guidelines)

Self-Setting Inflatable Swimming Pools: Require a:
Building PermitUncas Health District Approval
(2015 International Residential Code Must Be Followed)

ADA Wheelchair Ramp Specifications & Guidelines:
Click here for Information

bbb logothBetter Business Bureau
94 South Turnpike Road
Wallingford, CT 06492
203 -269 - 2700

connecticut logo01Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 901
Hartford, CT 06103
860 - 713 - 6100


Carl Brown
Building  & Zoning  Enforcement Officer

Available Office Hours:
Thursday 5 - 6 PM

Kaitlyn Olszewski
Assistant to the
Building Official
860-376-7060 x2110
email me

Griswold Town Hall
28 Main Street
Jewett City, CT 06351
Phone: 860.376.7060
Fax:  860 376-7070

Our office is on the first floor of the Town Hall.

Monday - Wednesday
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
8:30 AM – 6:00 PM
8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Zoning Maps2 documents

  • Town of Griswold Map
    document seq 0.00
  • Borough of Jewett City Map
    document seq 0.00

Forms & Applications14 documents

  • General Building Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • New Construction Building Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
    Single-family Dwellings, Multi-family Dwellings, Additions, Garages
  • New Construction Application Guidelines
    document seq 0.00
  • Typical Cross Section Detail
    document seq 0.00
  • CT Standardized Solar PV Permit Application Supplement
    document seq 0.00
    REQUIRES a General building permit application and electrical application in addition to  this solar permit. 
  • Demolition Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation, Gas Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Removal Application / Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • Electrical Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Plumbing Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Driveway Apron Application
    document seq 0.00
  • REScheck Quick Reference
    document seq 0.00
  • REScheck Worksheet
    document seq 0.00
  • Complaint Form
    document seq 0.00