In 1920, John Wilson’s mill was sold to two men from Norwich, G.W. Trumbull and John Breed. In1827 the mill was destroyed by fire and was never rebuilt. The property was taken over by John F. and William Slater. By 1873, William Slater had constructed what was to become the largest mill in town, containing 250 to 350 looms. The Ashland Cotton Company was second in size, with up to 330 looms in operation.
In the late 1870s several other manufacturing concerns became a part of the growing community, including Bromley Brothers, manufacturers of spectacles, producing 15,000 pairs of spectacles a year. There also were two carriage and wagon shops. Other businesses included a blacksmith shop, a livery stable, two company stores, and several shops.
In 1893 Moses Pierce organized the Aspinook Corporation. Also, in that same year, the Jewett City Textile Novelty Company was formed. The growth of the town increased steadily over the years, with several industries in full operation, including the Aspinook Mill, the Ashland Cotton Company, and the Plastic Wire and Cable Company.
However, by the mid-1960s the textile industry had faded out of existence. Attempts were made to develop new industries using existing structures, including a shoe factory at the Ashland Cotton Company and Wyre Wynd at the Aspinook Mill. As with many other manufacturing buildings, Aspinook Mill’s fire in 1969 destroyed most of the factory. Slater Mill sustained fire damage to a large portion of its mill complex in 1993, and Ashland Mill was completely consumed by fire in 1995.